We’re continuing our look at children’s dentistry with a focus on our preventive procedures. As part of our approach to children’s dentistry, we include procedures designed to help kids avoid the onset of tooth decay, a common issue that impacts children of all ages. Let’s look at five options for protecting children’s smiles.
5 Ways Our Team Protects Children’s Smiles
- Dental Sealants: A dental sealant involves placing a special plastic coating on the rear teeth in a child’s mouth. Kids often have trouble reaching these teeth when brushing and flossing, which can cause food to remain trapped between them and lead to a greater risk of decay. However, the sealants keep this from happening, reducing the risk of cavities. The sealants then safely wear away with time.
- Fluoride Treatments: Fluoride helps remineralize tooth enamel, the protective outer layer of tooth structure. We can apply the fluoride in a varnish during checkup and cleaning appointments. The treatment takes just minutes and can help shore up the smile’s natural defenses against harmful bacteria and enamel erosion.
- Checkups: Every six months we can perform a thorough examination. The visit allows us to make sure your child’s mouth is developing correctly, watching for the earliest indicators of potential problems, such as misalignment or cavities. These visits also help kids become used to the office, which can help reduce the risk of dental anxiety as they grow older.
- Cleanings: Kids benefit from six month cleanings, which we can perform in the same visit as a checkup. The cleaning allows the doctor or one of our talented hygienists to remove plaque from the child’s teeth.
- Fillings: If your little one develops a cavity, we can repair it with a lifelike and metal-free filling, preventing the onset of infection and reducing the chances of premature tooth loss.
Ready to Schedule a Visit for Your Little Ones?
At Lawson Family Dentistry, we can discuss preventive treatments to safeguard smiles against cavities. Dr. Lawson and her team proudly welcome patients of all ages from Urbandale, IA, as well as Johnston, Grimes, Waukee, and all surrounding communities. To learn more, or to schedule a consultation, please call our Urbandale office today at (515) 278-4366.